In an attempt to solve the problem of shipwrecks on Lundy in fog a signal station was established low down on the western cliffs in 1862. Two old cannon were mounted and fired a blank shot every 10 minutes. These were replaced by rockets in 1878 and the site abandoned when the North Light and South Light were constructed in 1897.


The cannon were kept in a solidly constructed gun house with the one in use projecting from the front. The roof was of lightweight construction to allow blast to escape in the event of an explosion. Steps cut in the rock behind lead past the magazine to two cottages for the gunners and their families - at one time home to 13 people.

Anti-aircraft trench

Battery Point

Beacon Hill

Brazen Ward

Brick Field

Halfway Wall

John O'Groat's House

Mangonel Battery

Millcombe

Montagu Steps

MV Kaaksburg

Pondsbury

Punchbowl Valley

Quarry Cottages

Hospital

Quarter Wall

Rocket Pole

Church

Castle

The Devil's Limekiln

The Devil's Slide

The Earthquake

Landing Bay

North Light

Old Light

Quarries

South Light

Village

Tibbetts

Back to location list

Website design and build by Garganey Consulting using Joomla!