The Rocket Pole © C J Webster

Rocket poles were once a fairly common site around the coast of Britain and were associated with training for a system of rocket launched life-saving equipment. These would be used to fire a line to a stranded ship which could then be used to winch survivors ashore. A shed was constructed in the village in 1893 to store the equipment.

Near the pole is a rectangular pond, created by test digging for granite at the time the of the Old Light's construction. The pond contains a population of carp, of unknown origin, who appear to thrive despite an apparent lack of food.

Anti-aircraft trench

Battery Point

Beacon Hill

Brazen Ward

Brick Field

Halfway Wall

John O'Groat's House

Mangonel Battery

Millcombe

Montagu Steps

MV Kaaksburg

Pondsbury

Punchbowl Valley

Quarry Cottages

Hospital

Quarter Wall

Rocket Pole

Church

Castle

The Devil's Limekiln

The Devil's Slide

The Earthquake

Landing Bay

North Light

Old Light

Quarries

South Light

Village

Tibbetts

Back to location list

Website design and build by Garganey Consulting using Joomla!