The walling supporting the platform © C J Webster

In 1220 William de Marisco obtained permission from the king to move mangonels (large stone throwing machines) from his Somerset estates to Lundy. Their only use here would have been against ships and this platform at the west end of Halfway Wall may have been built to provide a base for one. Medieval pottery has been found in it and it is too high above the sea to be a later gun-platform.

Anti-aircraft trench

Battery Point

Beacon Hill

Brazen Ward

Brick Field

Halfway Wall

John O'Groat's House

Mangonel Battery

Millcombe

Montagu Steps

MV Kaaksburg

Pondsbury

Punchbowl Valley

Quarry Cottages

Hospital

Quarter Wall

Rocket Pole

Church

Castle

The Devil's Limekiln

The Devil's Slide

The Earthquake

Landing Bay

North Light

Old Light

Quarries

South Light

Village

Tibbetts

Back to location list

Website design and build by Garganey Consulting using Joomla!