One of the less obvious aspects of Lundy's archaeology are these shallow trenches dug during the Second World War to impede aircraft landing and taking off. Much of southern England was defended by this and other types of obstruction but most were cleared for agriculture once the immediate threat of invasion in 1940 had passed. Many of the ones on Lundy have also been removed, some as recently as the early 1990s.

Anti-aircraft trench

Battery Point

Beacon Hill

Brazen Ward

Brick Field

Halfway Wall

John O'Groat's House

Mangonel Battery

Millcombe

Montagu Steps

MV Kaaksburg

Pondsbury

Punchbowl Valley

Quarry Cottages

Hospital

Quarter Wall

Rocket Pole

Church

Castle

The Devil's Limekiln

The Devil's Slide

The Earthquake

Landing Bay

North Light

Old Light

Quarries

South Light

Village

Tibbetts

Back to location list

Website design and build by Garganey Consulting using Joomla!