The North Light from the cliffs above © C J Webster

The North Light was completed in 1897, together with the South Light after it was realised that the Old Light was sited so high that it was often obscured by clouds.

Work began in 1970 to automate the light but the last keepers were not taken off until 8th November 1976 when an underground cable link to the South Light was completed.

In 1991 the light was converted to solar power with the panels, main light and emergency light situated on the former fog signal. All lighthouses are now controlled from Harwich.

Website design and build by Garganey Consulting using Joomla!