The Landing Bay © C J Webster

The Landing Bay is so called as it is the the only beach on Lundy where boats may land. The bay is sheltered from the prevailing westerly winds but not from easterlies as can be seen in the picture below. The beach is linked to the plateau by a steep road built in 1838. Before this the only way up was by a narrow path whose remains can still be seen.

Landing on the beach © A J Schofield

In 1990 the road was extended to Diver's Beach which unfortunately caused large areas of the cliff to collapse. This now links to the new jetty and provides much safer access to the island.

Landing at the jetty © C J Webster

Anti-aircraft trench

Battery Point

Beacon Hill

Brazen Ward

Brick Field

Halfway Wall

John O'Groat's House

Mangonel Battery

Millcombe

Montagu Steps

MV Kaaksburg

Pondsbury

Punchbowl Valley

Quarry Cottages

Hospital

Quarter Wall

Rocket Pole

Church

Castle

The Devil's Limekiln

The Devil's Slide

The Earthquake

Landing Bay

North Light

Old Light

Quarries

South Light

Village

Tibbetts

Back to location list

Website design and build by Garganey Consulting using Joomla!