The North Light from the cliffs above © Mandy Dee

The North Light was completed in 1897, together with the South Light after it was realised that the Old Light was sited so high that it was often obscured by clouds.

Work began in 1970 to automate the light but the last keepers were not taken off until 8th November 1976 when an underground cable link to the South Light was completed.

In 1991 the light was converted to solar power with the panels, main light and emergency light situated on the former fog signal. All lighthouses are now controlled from Harwich.

Anti-aircraft trench

Battery Point

Beacon Hill

Brazen Ward

Brick Field

Halfway Wall

John O'Groat's House

Mangonel Battery


Montagu Steps

MV Kaaksburg


Punchbowl Valley

Quarry Cottages


Quarter Wall

Rocket Pole



The Devil's Limekiln

The Devil's Slide

The Earthquake

Landing Bay

North Light

Old Light

The Pyramid


South Light



Back to location list

Website design and build by Garganey Consulting using Joomla! and hosted by Stablepoint