Tibbetts with the encircling wall © Mandy Dee

The admiralty built this signal station in 1909 on one of the best vantage points on the island. Originally it had a timber observation room on the roof but this was removed by the Landmark Trust when they converted the building into a holiday cottage; they also added the circular wall which presently surrounds the building.

The location was also the site of a bronze age barrow which was opened in 1922. Further bronze age pottery, found in the spoil when a septic tank was installed, suggests that there may have been other burials around.

Anti-aircraft trench

Battery Point

Beacon Hill

Brazen Ward

Brick Field

Halfway Wall

John O'Groat's House

Mangonel Battery


Montagu Steps

MV Kaaksburg


Punchbowl Valley

Quarry Cottages


Quarter Wall

Rocket Pole



The Devil's Limekiln

The Devil's Slide

The Earthquake

Landing Bay

North Light

Old Light

The Pyramid


South Light



Back to location list

Website design and build by Garganey Consulting using Joomla! and hosted by Stablepoint