Location of The Landing Bay

The Landing Bay

The Landing Bay is so called as it is the the only beach on Lundy where boats may land. The bay is sheltered from the prevailing westerly winds but not from easterlies as can be seen in the picture above. The beach is linked to the plateau by a steep road built in 1838. Before this the only way up was by a narrow path whose remains can still be seen.

Landing on the beach (photo AJ Schofield)

In 1990 the road was extended to Diver's Beach which unfortunately caused large areas of the cliff to collapse. This now links to the new jetty and provides much safer access to the island.

Landing at the jetty (photo Chris Webster)
Beacon Hill Montagu Steps Devil's Limekiln Rocket Pole St Helen's Church The South Light The Castle Millcombe The Village Anti-aircraft trenches Brick Field Quarry Cottages Quarter Wall Battery Point Punchbowl Valley The Earthquake Quarry Hospital Tibbetts Halfway Wall Mangonel Battery Brazen Ward John O'Groats House The North Light Pondsbury The Quarries The Landing Bay The Old Light Kaaksburg Devil's Slide