Location of The North Light

The North Light

The North Light was completed in 1897, together with the South Light after it was realised that the Old Light was sited so high that it was often obscured by clouds.

Work began in 1970 to automate the light but the last keepers were not taken off until 8th November 1976 when an underground cable link to the South Light was completed.

In 1991 the light was converted to solar power with the panels, main light and emergency light situated on the former fog signal. All lighthouses are now controlled from Harwich.

Beacon Hill Montagu Steps Devil's Limekiln Rocket Pole St Helen's Church The South Light The Castle Millcombe The Village Anti-aircraft trenches Brick Field Quarry Cottages Quarter Wall Battery Point Punchbowl Valley The Earthquake Quarry Hospital Tibbetts Halfway Wall Mangonel Battery Brazen Ward John O'Groats House The North Light Pondsbury The Quarries The Landing Bay The Old Light Kaaksburg Devil's Slide