Location of Mangonel Battery

Mangonel Battery

In 1220 William de Marisco obtained permission from the king to move mangonels (large stone throwing machines) from his Somerset estates to Lundy. Their only use here would have been against ships and this platform at the west end of Halfway Wall may have been built to provide a base for one. Medieval pottery has been found in it and it is too high above the sea to be a later gun-platform.

Beacon Hill Montagu Steps Devil's Limekiln Rocket Pole St Helen's Church The South Light The Castle Millcombe The Village Anti-aircraft trenches Brick Field Quarry Cottages Quarter Wall Battery Point Punchbowl Valley The Earthquake Quarry Hospital Tibbetts Halfway Wall Mangonel Battery Brazen Ward John O'Groats House The North Light Pondsbury The Quarries The Landing Bay The Old Light Kaaksburg Devil's Slide