Location of Tibbetts

Tibbetts

The admiralty built this signal station in 1909 on one of the best vantage points on the island. Originally it had a timber observation room on the roof but this was removed by the Landmark Trust when they converted the building into a holiday cottage; they also added the circular wall which presently surrounds the building.

The location was also the site of a bronze age barrow which was opened in 1922. Further bronze age pottery, found in the spoil when a septic tank was installed, suggests that there may have been other burials around.

Beacon Hill Montagu Steps Devil's Limekiln Rocket Pole St Helen's Church The South Light The Castle Millcombe The Village Anti-aircraft trenches Brick Field Quarry Cottages Quarter Wall Battery Point Punchbowl Valley The Earthquake Quarry Hospital Tibbetts Halfway Wall Mangonel Battery Brazen Ward John O'Groats House The North Light Pondsbury The Quarries The Landing Bay The Old Light Kaaksburg Devil's Slide