Location of Battery Point

Battery Point

In an attempt to solve the problem of shipwrecks on Lundy in fog a signal station was established low down on the western cliffs in 1862. Two old cannon were mounted and fired a blank shot every 10 minutes. These were replaced by rockets in 1878 and the site abandoned when the North Light and South Light were constructed in 1897.

The gun house and cannon at the Battery (photo Chris Webster)

The cannon were kept in a solidly constructed gun house with the one in use projecting from the front. The roof was of lightweight construction to allow blast to escape in the event of an explosion. Steps cut in the rock behind lead past the magazine to two cottages for the gunners and their families - at one time home to 13 people.

Beacon Hill Montagu Steps Devil's Limekiln Rocket Pole St Helen's Church The South Light The Castle Millcombe The Village Anti-aircraft trenches Brick Field Quarry Cottages Quarter Wall Battery Point Punchbowl Valley The Earthquake Quarry Hospital Tibbetts Halfway Wall Mangonel Battery Brazen Ward John O'Groats House The North Light Pondsbury The Quarries The Landing Bay The Old Light Kaaksburg Devil's Slide