Location of Anti-aircraft trenches

Anti-aircraft trenches

One of the less obvious aspects of Lundy's archaeology are these shallow trenches dug during the Second World War to impede aircraft landing and taking off. Much of southern England was defended by this and other types of obstruction but most were cleared for agriculture once the immediate threat of invasion in 1940 had passed. Many of the ones on Lundy have also been removed, some as recently as the early 1990s.

Beacon Hill Montagu Steps Devil's Limekiln Rocket Pole St Helen's Church The South Light The Castle Millcombe The Village Anti-aircraft trenches Brick Field Quarry Cottages Quarter Wall Battery Point Punchbowl Valley The Earthquake Quarry Hospital Tibbetts Halfway Wall Mangonel Battery Brazen Ward John O'Groats House The North Light Pondsbury The Quarries The Landing Bay The Old Light Kaaksburg Devil's Slide