Roland Barker's photographs of Lundy

Roland Barker was appointed the first warden by the Lundy Field Society for the 1947 season on the island. As well as recording information for the Lundy Bird Observatory he was in charge of the LFS's hostel which was in the Old Light. The building had been completed in 1820 but soon rendered obsolete as its height on the top of the island meant it was often obscured by clouds. The keepers' house had been repaired during World War II when a small naval detachment had been quartered there but it was again showing the effects of the severe weather. Barker maintained the buildings and cooked for visitors.

The following year, Barker is described in the list of members as "somewhere in Canada". He retired to Oregon after a life in the hotel trade and his photograph album came to light when many of his posessions were sold prior to moving into a home. The LFS is grateful to Bob Cummings, who purchased the album at the sale, for providing the images.

The album is composed of about 340k of images so may take a while to download. You can then look at individual images - each is about 50k