Rocket poles were once a fairly common site around the coast of Britain and were associated with training for a system of rocket launched life-saving equipment. These would be used to fire a line to a stranded ship which could then be used to winch survivors ashore. A shed was constructed in the village in 1893 to store the equipment.

Near the pole is a rectangular pond, created by test digging for granite at the time the of the Old Light's construction. The pond contains a population of carp, of unknown origin, who appear to thrive despite an apparent lack of food.

Website design and build by Garganey Consulting using Joomla!