The site for the lighthouse was surveyed in 1819 following agreement with the then owner of Lundy Sir Aubrey de Vere Hunt. The light tower and keepers' house were designed by Daniel Alexander, the consultant engineer to Trinity House. They are of a massive construction to withstand the weather. The became operational on 21st February the following year but the height of light meant that it was often obscured by clouds.

This led to the construction of a fog signal station (the Battery) in 1863 and the replacement, in 1897, of the Old LIght by two new lights close to sea level at the north and south ends.

Website design and build by Garganey Consulting using Joomla!